I know that some red hot* Toronto tango newbie girls recently went down to Buenos Aires.
* Red hot = young, skinny, pretty, popular and wearing something tight and/or revealing. As opposed to old and/or fat and/or ugly and sitting on the side all night and never asked to dance. No, I'm not jealous but just stating the sad realistic facts.
I hope that when they were there, they didn't just dance with flingers. They go to flinger classes here and dance almost exclusively with other young Toronto flingers and boy do they worship and gush over them. They think the youthful flinger lads are the best thing since sliced bread. A million gazillion Facebook likes!
I look at the said flinger lads flinging and 1) hope they don't fling into me and 2) roll my eyes and want to barf at the red hot newbie adoration they are getting. Are you all mad?
Unfortunately, I really do think they went down to Buenos Aires and just went to flinger classes and flinger milongas and just danced with other young gleeful flinging people. The girls think flinging is the real authentic Tango and anything else is just bizarre.
They do not know that dancing with the Milongueros is like Heaven. They mistakenly believe that the near-death experience of being flung in Tango at high speed is like Heaven. As one tanguera has described to me quite aptly, "When he flung me and I clung on for dear life, my life flashed before my eyes!"
It is so sad that in a space of a few years, Tango newbies can't access how milonguero tango feels like even if they want to. Most of the old milongueros have passed on. People who have learned to dance with the milongueros or who have danced with the milongueros and who can transmit that wonderful tango feeling are few and far between (probably quit tango after being flung into). Everyone is flocking either to the competition tango or the flinger tango bandwagons.
I've danced with the Milongueros, girls, and flinger Tango pales in comparison.
With the Milongueros you feel and hear the music.
With the flingers, they aren't listening. They just want to fling and they are thinking of the next flingy step they can throw at you.
With the Milongueros, you are dancing with gentlemen. They will protect the women they dance with and respect the people around them.
With the flingers, you are dancing with jerks and they don't care who they hit with a careless fling because they are so busy flinging.
With the Milongueros, you feel their warm, steady and confident embrace.
With the flingers - well, they've flung you out in a wide orbit and you are gripping on with your fingernails or else you are going to be flung to Mars.
It's too late now, but next trip, I hope that instead of doing the Flingtastic Tango Tour, they will go and take lessons with the few milongueros and milongueras who are left. There are a few still teaching. Like Myriam Pincen and Blas Catrenau. Absolutely a match made in Tango Heaven for sure.
They recently performed at Salon Canning. I hope you enjoy this video of their performance!
Martha's Apartment in Buenos Aires
A Non-exhaustive set of Tango links in Toronto
- La Cachila - weekly milonga
- Paradiso -- weekly milonga
- Practica El Beso
- WE Tango
- Tango Sur - classes, shows
- Rhythm and Motion - classes, milonga, practica, annual Toronto Tango Festival
- Tango Obsession - classes, weekly Practica La Coqueta
- Tango Lirico - classes, practica, weekly milonga
- Tango de Oro - classes, shows
- Tango Soul Productions - classes, weekly milonga, shows, El Congreso annual Tango Festival
- Vivatango - classes
- Tango Argentino - classes
- Club Milonga - classes, special events
- Alternatango - classes, weekly milonga
- University of Toronto Tango Club - classes, practica
- El Abrazo - classes
- Tangoloft - twice monthly milonga