Pina Bausch existed until she died last year. Man Yung happened to stumble upon a tribute to her and the two other titans of dance who passed away in 2009 (the other two being Merce Cunningham and Michael Jackson) in a recent edition of Ming Pao's monthly magazine.
I was planning to write about Pina and Tango. And Pina and Tete, because they had met each other and had danced together in one of Pina Bausch's productions in Buenos Aires. There is a page on Tete and Silvia's website about their friendship and collaboration here.
I was thinking: "What won't I give to have a chance to look at footage of them dancing together!"
Then I read sad news on the internet. El Tangauta reports that Tete had gone dancing at El Beso, and then was found dead in bed in his apartment the following day.
The news shook me to the core. Writing about meeting him in Buenos Aires in 2008 in our previous post, it seemed like only yesterday that we danced. The Tete whom we met for a brief moment - filled with vitality, energy, passion, kindness, humour, laughter, music, all the stuff of humanity and of tango and of life - dead.
Although Tete and Pina have passed on, their legacy in dance will continue to live in our hearts and minds.
Martha's Apartment in Buenos Aires
A Non-exhaustive set of Tango links in Toronto
- La Cachila - weekly milonga
- Paradiso -- weekly milonga
- Practica El Beso
- WE Tango
- Tango Sur - classes, shows
- Rhythm and Motion - classes, milonga, practica, annual Toronto Tango Festival
- Tango Obsession - classes, weekly Practica La Coqueta
- Tango Lirico - classes, practica, weekly milonga
- Tango de Oro - classes, shows
- Tango Soul Productions - classes, weekly milonga, shows, El Congreso annual Tango Festival
- Vivatango - classes
- Tango Argentino - classes
- Club Milonga - classes, special events
- Alternatango - classes, weekly milonga
- University of Toronto Tango Club - classes, practica
- El Abrazo - classes
- Tangoloft - twice monthly milonga