Monday, March 15, 2010
Buenos Aires 2010
Instead of watching our cat hacking out hairballs, we are in Buenos Aires. The skies are blue, the humidity is just fine, the portenos are lovely and gracious, and we have eaten asado almost every single day. I myself am being eaten alive by the mosquitoes (they have a bit of a mosquito problem this year because there was so much rain a few weeks ago) but who cares, we are in tango heaven!
I thought that I would be able to gather a lot of material for the blog but alas, this has not been the case. So far we have been to Nuevo Chique, Lo de Celia, Los Consagrados (unfortunately we were not able to bump into Cherie and Ruben - we didn't know that they were still in Brasil), Glorias Argentinas, Sin Rumbo, El Beso, Milonga del Centenario in Viejo Correo - yes, we have been keeping more than busy. But guess what? No face dancing. No shoulder shrugging. No gratuitous adorning. In fact, the level of dancing has improved this year for locals and for foreigners. In addition, the attendance at the milongas we went to has been higher than what we have seen previously. The extranjeros in the more extranjero milongas still cannot control their desire to "mostrar" (as some locals have termed it) their bountiful tango talents, but at least they are "showing off" by dancing as "authentically and tastefully" as possible and not as "large and spiky" as possible. If only we could banish all the nincompoop leaders with the dangerously flailing elbows (apparently it is apex of "new trendiness", popularized by such as Pablo and Noelia and others - I couldn't even bear to look at some of the videos on youtube) to La Viruta, everything would be just dandy and there would be nothing to write about!
Our stay won't be long, but I'm dutifully writing down what has happened every day... so that I can bore you with the details, oh, three years down the road....
Martha's Apartment in Buenos Aires
A Non-exhaustive set of Tango links in Toronto
- La Cachila - weekly milonga
- Paradiso -- weekly milonga
- Practica El Beso
- WE Tango
- Tango Sur - classes, shows
- Rhythm and Motion - classes, milonga, practica, annual Toronto Tango Festival
- Tango Obsession - classes, weekly Practica La Coqueta
- Tango Lirico - classes, practica, weekly milonga
- Tango de Oro - classes, shows
- Tango Soul Productions - classes, weekly milonga, shows, El Congreso annual Tango Festival
- Vivatango - classes
- Tango Argentino - classes
- Club Milonga - classes, special events
- Alternatango - classes, weekly milonga
- University of Toronto Tango Club - classes, practica
- El Abrazo - classes
- Tangoloft - twice monthly milonga