...if you want to learn how to really tango:
Billie Holiday - "My Man"
Edith Piaf "Padam Padam"
周璇 - 天涯歌女 Zhou Xuan - The Wandering Songstress 1937
Bai Guang "Ten Sighs" 白光 - "嘆十聲"
When each of these women sing, they sing who they are, they copy no-one. If "who they are" happens to be a little squeaky sounding, a little gravelly, somewhat unconventional, weird, rough, even quite ugly - that's fine too. By not trying to be "Swans", they are much more lovely, beautiful, unique - and magnificent.
If we as followers can feel secure enough to dance the way that these women sing (and by this, I do not mean that one should "imitate" any style - what we should learn to to be secure enough to live in our own uniqueness, and dance from our hearts), we would all dance better.
Listening to Celine Dion may not have exactly the same effect.
Martha's Apartment in Buenos Aires
A Non-exhaustive set of Tango links in Toronto
- La Cachila - weekly milonga
- Paradiso -- weekly milonga
- Practica El Beso
- WE Tango
- Tango Sur - classes, shows
- Rhythm and Motion - classes, milonga, practica, annual Toronto Tango Festival
- Tango Obsession - classes, weekly Practica La Coqueta
- Tango Lirico - classes, practica, weekly milonga
- Tango de Oro - classes, shows
- Tango Soul Productions - classes, weekly milonga, shows, El Congreso annual Tango Festival
- Vivatango - classes
- Tango Argentino - classes
- Club Milonga - classes, special events
- Alternatango - classes, weekly milonga
- University of Toronto Tango Club - classes, practica
- El Abrazo - classes
- Tangoloft - twice monthly milonga