A new Pope from Buenos Aires.... who used to dance the Tango:
From the accounts we have read, Pope Francis seems like a genuinely humble, good man with kindness and great love for all people, especially the poor and the marginalized. We aren't Catholics but the news last week that Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio from Buenos Aires is now the new Pope filled us with hope and joy. The recollections of his former friends of him as a "great dancer of tangos" is just the icing on the cake. From our experience, the people who love and understand the tango the most have a lot of empathy for the human condition...we hope that this is the case with the new Pope!
Another happy thing: Videos of Osvaldo and Coca, performing at Osvaldo's birthday parties (yes, a few of them) all over Buenos Aires!
Here's their performance at Floreal Milonga:
And their performance at Flaca Lucia and Gerry's Flor de Milonga:
Yet another happy thing: Martha and Manolo will be "godparents" for a tango festival in Barcelona in May!
Martha and Manolo are always happy to have more people dance their style of Canyengue and this seems to be a great event to promote more Canyengue dancing around the world.
Martha's Apartment in Buenos Aires
A Non-exhaustive set of Tango links in Toronto
- La Cachila - weekly milonga
- Paradiso -- weekly milonga
- Practica El Beso
- WE Tango
- Tango Sur - classes, shows
- Rhythm and Motion - classes, milonga, practica, annual Toronto Tango Festival
- Tango Obsession - classes, weekly Practica La Coqueta
- Tango Lirico - classes, practica, weekly milonga
- Tango de Oro - classes, shows
- Tango Soul Productions - classes, weekly milonga, shows, El Congreso annual Tango Festival
- Vivatango - classes
- Tango Argentino - classes
- Club Milonga - classes, special events
- Alternatango - classes, weekly milonga
- University of Toronto Tango Club - classes, practica
- El Abrazo - classes
- Tangoloft - twice monthly milonga